There are different types of rugs such as area rugs, oriental rugs, and many more types are available. Various steps are followed in the rug cleaning which includes- firstly assess the rugs, tools required for it is rug shampoo and mild dish detergents which are used. The Persian rugs and other delicate pieces are expensive to replace, so the large investment is needed to keep them well maintained, cleaned and in great shape. The professional experts are needed for gigantic and extremely delicate rugs.
Various Tools required for Rug Cleaning
- Rug Shampoo (or a mild detergent)
- Soft bristle brush or sponge
Other Optional Tools
- Garden hose
- Rubber Gloves
- Wet dry vacuum
Through these tools, by vacuuming on both sides of rugs, if there are pets then use the brush attachment to get any stray hairs cleaned properly. It removes the dirt and debris properly. Never use the hot water as it shrinks the rugs or causes fading of the rug.
Various Steps to Clean the Rugs
- Remove the dirt and debris by vacuuming on the rug from both sides.
- Next mix the cleaner like mixing shampoo or mild dish detergent mixed in a bucket with warm water but never use hot water as it may cause damage to the rugs such as shrinking of rugs or it may cause fading.
- Then do the color tests, before starting the scrubbing make sure that the cleaner does not cause the colors to run. Test the solution on the corner of the rug to make sure that it is colorfast. If the color does not bleed then it is safe to move onto the next step.
- The next step involves washing of rugs by using a sponge or through soft bristle brush, then work on the cleaning solution into lather on the rug. Let the cleaner sit on the rug for a few minutes before the process of rinsing.
- Rinse the rug, that is rinses the soap out of the rug by using a garden hose or buckets of clean water. Also, make sure about the cleaning solution that it is removed from the rug and the runoff water is now clean.
- Finally, let the rug dry and allow it to dry completely and then flip over to let the bottom side dry. Fans may help to speed up the process and also check that it is completely dry before keeping it in the room.